Author Topic: Semogue in Lisbon  (Read 10122 times)

Offline oversaturn

• Moderador Global
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • D.Quijote de La Toja
  • Respect: +404
Re: Semogue in Lisbon
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 11:03:19 am »

And I'm also curious why you guys have so many brushes? 

Variety is the spice of life! :D

Some folks have just one brush, and are happy with that. Others have a few, while others have a lot of them and like to collect them.
Just different approaches to the world of wet-shaving, that's all. Take your pick, and do what makes you happy. :)
I wish I could be half as sure of anything as some people are of everything...

Como colocar imagens no fórum? Vê aqui.
O que é o double-post e como evitar

Offline Chadguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Maçarico
  • Respect: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 03:12:24 pm »
Hi,

Wanted to let you guys know my experience in Lisbon buying shaving products, brushes, etc.:

As I mentioned, the place where I bought the 2010 in Alvalade only had a few brushes but had a room of upscale mens products, some brushes from them that were made by Semogue.  The shop assistant knew the brushes were boar, but the owner did not. Both recommended the 2010.   They didn't have Musgo Real because the owner said that Ach Brito is available in supermarkets. They have Confianca.

I went to Drugstore S. Domingo's, and the person who showed me the brushes kept insisting that the code on the brushes were internal to the store and not the numbers of the brushes.  One I saw ended with 2020, another with 830.  When I asked him the difference between the brushes, he pointed to the brush-head/knot but nothing more.  But they had Top Secret which I wanted to try.

Polycarp was closed for inventory when I went.

I also managed to pic up Lavanda and Veleiro, and 444. 

Interesting enough most places I have gone in the store carry Omega and diss/diminish not only Semogue but all shaving products from Portugal.

All the best.

Offline Chadguy

• Maçarico
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 03:14:26 pm »
That last is a sad affair here, not appreciating your own.  Why is this?  Still trying to figure it out....

Offline Leon

• Vendedor / Moderador Emérito
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Devoto de São Martin de Candre
  • Porto, Portugal
  • Respect: +40
    • Vintage Scent
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 04:19:16 pm »
That last is a sad affair here, not appreciating your own.  Why is this?  Still trying to figure it out....

Hi Sheldon.

I'm pretty sure they're the exception and not the rule. Here in the forum we praise all Portuguese shaving products. Also, if you read the reviews on the other wetshaving forums (both Europeans and Americans) they also think our products are very good.
Some store clerks might say that because they're not very into the "art" of wet-shaving, given the replies you had when you asked for a more detailed comparision between one brush and another.
This forum is a much more safer place to ask for directions when buying Portuguese products than the local clerks, in my honest opinion.

I hope you enjoy your stay.
Melhores Cumprimentos,

Bruno

Visite a minha loja em www.VintageScent.com para pinceis Semogue, navalhas, cremes, sabões e serviço de afilamento e restauro de navalhas

Offline Rui Marques

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Affair com uma British Aristocrat
  • PT - Lisboa
  • Respect: +93
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:25:09 pm »
Lest see your aqcuisitions  ;D

Offline Colcurinho

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A obra de Valobra
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »
Hi,

Wanted to let you guys know my experience in Lisbon buying shaving products, brushes, etc.:

As I mentioned, the place where I bought the 2010 in Alvalade only had a few brushes but had a room of upscale mens products, some brushes from them that were made by Semogue.  The shop assistant knew the brushes were boar, but the owner did not. Both recommended the 2010.   They didn't have Musgo Real because the owner said that Ach Brito is available in supermarkets. They have Confianca.

I went to Drugstore S. Domingo's, and the person who showed me the brushes kept insisting that the code on the brushes were internal to the store and not the numbers of the brushes.  One I saw ended with 2020, another with 830.  When I asked him the difference between the brushes, he pointed to the brush-head/knot but nothing more.  But they had Top Secret which I wanted to try.

Polycarp was closed for inventory when I went.

I also managed to pic up Lavanda and Veleiro, and 444. 

Interesting enough most places I have gone in the store carry Omega and diss/diminish not only Semogue but all shaving products from Portugal.

All the best.

That´s weard! that is all I can say. It is well known between us, portuguese people, that we produce good products in almost everything we produce. Personal care products is no exception.

For some reason Semogue has so many fans. Just see international fóruns and you´ll see how many Semogues there is around the world.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:40:00 pm by Colcurinho »

Offline FatSlim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Devoto de São Martin de Candre
  • Shaving... the 40th Millennium way!
  • Respect: +6
    • My Shaving Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:55 pm »
I like to go to S. Domingos drugstore but (you probably noticed that) their strength lies with hair care products for women (don't take your wife/girlfriend there... you'll leave with a negative account balance, trust me :D) and the professional market. One time I even gave a small lecture to one of the owners about the Vie-Long brushes they were selling :D
It is as Leon says, the drugstores clerks don't care very much about this hobby because is a niche market and I believe they don't know that it even exists, that's why they have all those Omega brushes. They get what it's thrown at them by the middle man.
My Shaving Youtube Channel

"A diferença entre o barbear moderno e o tradicional é como viajar por uma auto-estrada ou por uma nacional. Na primeira vais mais rápido mas pagas portagens. Na segunda vais mais devagar, mas aprecias a viagem"

Offline Chadguy

• Maçarico
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 09:40:25 pm »
Just to clarify.  I absolutely know that Semogue is a great brush.   I absolutely know that the Portuguese make great products.  All I was saying is that I and my wife have experienced here a 'general tendency' of Portuguese dismissing their own.  You almost have to plead with them to give Portuguese a chance.   And I have.    And I will continue....

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal