Author Topic: Quais são os melhores sabões de barbear (por Mantic59)  (Read 11723 times)

Offline Gago

• Monsieur Thiers Issard
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • D.Quijote de La Toja
  • Respect: +211
    • Email
Quais são os melhores sabões de barbear (por Mantic59)
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »
Recebi no e-mail o link da última entrada no Sharpologist.com, e achei interessante compartilhar (e copiar) aqui. Sendo possuidor de todos os sabões que o Mantic recomenda, posso assinar em baixo da sua opinião. Ainda acho que muitos outros poderiam entrar na lista, mas todos que lá estão são mesmo DE TOPO, como diria um grande amigo.

WHAT IS THE BEST SHAVING SOAP
By Mark H
Posted April 7, 2014

shaving soap

It seems like the old-school shaving world has been buried in soaps lately. It used to be easy to tell which were the great ones and which ones left something to be desired.  But now that they are everywhere how can you tell good from bad?  Let’s take a look at what goes into a good shaving soap and see which ones come out ahead of the others.

ANATOMY OF A REALLY GOOD SHAVING SOAP
Wikipedia says shave soaps…”differs slightly from normal bath soap in that both potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide are used as saponification agents rather than just sodium hydroxide alone. Traditionally, tallow has been a popular ingredient in shaving soaps and is still in use in some traditional products. Other oils such as coconut oil, palm oil, and olive oil are often used in shaving soap, but such oils are thought among shaving traditionalists to often produce an inferior product.” (emphasis mine)

Wow, citation please?

INGREDIENTS
The fact is, shaving soaps are traditionally thought of as tallow-based or glycerin-based.  And the old school conventional wisdom says tallow-based shave soaps are superior.  But that’s just not the case anymore.  There are tallow-based shave soaps that are nowhere near “best” (*cough*WilliamsMugSoap*cough*).  And there are glycerin-based soaps that are excellent.  And vice-versa.  It all depends on the mix of ingredients, their ratios, and their quality.  The fact is that various oils such as shea butter, palm oil, olive oil, and coconut oil–in the correct proportions–can improve the performance of a shaving soap.  More recently, kokum butter and argan oil have been introduced successfully in shaving soaps.

PROCESSES
Another variable in the making of shaving soap is the way it’s processed.  Supposedly “top shelf” shaving soaps are usually triple-milled, making it much more dense than a normal soap.  Triple-milling does make a soap last longer but the process itself does not make a soap “best” (or even “good”).  A hard soap can be either tallow-based or glycerin-based; it’s just part of the manufacturing process.  Similarly, soft soap (sometimes called “Italian style” soap) has a putty-like consistancy but is not necessarily indicative of the quality of the product.

Check some of the related posts listed at the end of this article for more information on ingredients and processes in soap-making.

SHAVING SOAP RECOMMENDATIONS
So what are the “best” shaving soaps?  To be sure, there are many excellent shave soaps, mostly from artisans making small batches with quality ingredients.  Let me propose a set of criteria for determining what rises to the top:

Ease of lathering using water with a variety of mineral content (in other words it works well in “soft” water and “hard” water).
Superior performance (based on my own experience and what I have read on review sites and forums)–with both “cushion” and “lubrication” better than most.
Available in a variety of scents (you won’t use even the best soap if you don’t care for it’s smell).
Availability (from more than just a single artisan website).
Time on the market, and price.
Remember, “Your Mileage May Vary” with these recommendations!  Although there is a large majority that like these soaps there will always be some for which a soap does not work as well.

DR HARRIS
The original DR Harris line of shave soaps are triple milled, tallow-based, and available in bowl or stick.  This may be among the last of the “old school” tallow-based shaving soaps from one of the “major” wet shaving brands.  Avoid the “Naturals” line that is glycerin-based and not nearly as good as the original line.

Almond (available in Mahogany Bowl / Beech Bowl / Refill Puck/ Shaving Stick ) – The scent has been described as a somewhat weak almond fragrance with “warm” and “woody” notes.

Arlington (available in Mahogany Bowl / Beech Bowl / Refill Puck / Shaving Stick) – The scent is described as a somewhat strong mix of citrus and fern.  Arlington is a favorite of mine.

Lavender (available in Mahogany Bowl / Beech Bowl  / Refill Puck / Shaving Stick) – This is another somewhat weak scent that some (though not all by any stretch) have said has a bit of an “artificial” element to it. No one complains about the performance though. :)

Marlborough (available in Mahogany Bowl/ Beech Bowl / Refill Puck / Shaving Stick) – Many expect this to be a tobacco-like scent because of its name but it is really a mix of woods, particularly fern and cedar.

Windsor (available in Mahogany Bowl / Beech Bowl  / Refill Puck  / Shaving Stick) – We’ve talked about Windsor before, described as a “nice citrusy, leathery scent with a bit of pepper and vetyver, and patchouli.”

HOW TO GROW A MOUSTACHE
I was actually a bit conflicted about whether to include HTGAM Synergy shave soaps in this list because they have not been around nearly as long as some of the other brands on this list.  But they are available at more than one website, they continue to expand the company, and the soap has impressed so many people–including me–that in the end they made the list.

The most widely-available Synergy soaps come in a five-inch-wide, half-pound tin in the original scent line: Bay Rum, “Cavendish” (pipe tobacco), Lavender & Cedar, Lime, Scentless, and “Vanetiver” (Vanilla & Double Distilled Vetiver).

Coconut Bay (w/ Lime) and Gondolier (mildly scented with Rose, Juniper, Jasmine, Cedar), also in a half-pound tin, are slightly more expensive.

Selected scents are available in a smaller 4 ounce tin, and/or a shave stick.  New scents are being added all the time so check the How To Grow A Moustache Store for the latest.  Amazon, Italian Barber, and Maggard are among the other channels for purchase.

RAZOROCK (ITALIAN BARBER)
RazoRock, the “house product line” from Italian Barber, is a set of products made mostly by old-school Italian artisans.   Although there are a number of product varieties, I think the one of the best and most consistant performing (for the criteria outline earlier) is their “La Famiglia” (The Family) line, a soft (sometimes called “Italian style”) shave soap line:

Nonno Michelino Sandalwood: a “sandalwood” scent is always a bit of a gamble, as there are a number of different variations.  HERE is Wikipedia’s entry on sandalwood for more information.  This one is described as an “Italian sandalwood,” and “inspired by enveloping oriental woods.”

Cumba Cheech, described as Orange Blossom & Jasmine.

Green Tobacco, described as, well, young tobacco :) .  Not like pipe or cigar tobacco, more “spicy” or “musky.”

As with many artisan shaving soaps, other scents come and go.  My personal favorite–currently out of stock–is Don Marco.  With the scent of Bergamot Neroli…”think Orange Creamsicle” according to the official description.  But I think it is much more complex than that simple description.  Citrus, yes, but underlying notes of spiciness that somehow give it an Italian twist.  You can find RazoRock soaps on Amazon, West Coast Shaving, Chicago Shaving, Straight Razor Designs, as well as the Italian Barber website.

PETAL PUSHER FANCIES
Petal Pusher Fancies shave soaps are often compared to Synergy shave soaps, and they do share some of the same ingredients.  But they seem to be around for the long-term, use quality ingredients, and are available from more than the artisan’s website so I think they belong on this list.

PPF’s most widely available soaps are available on Amazon in small tins of Black Tea, Coconut, Neroli, Sandalwood, and Unscented.  The line is also available at Maggard and Italian Barber.

Here are their scent descriptions (FO is fragrance oil, EO is essential oil), taken from their website:

Amber (FO & EO) – Amber with a blend of Sandalwood and Musk. Warm, and Sweet.

Black Tea (FO & EO) – A strong, striking scent blend of Tea, Tobacco, and Musk. Many feel this is very similar to a “Barbershop” scent.

Briar (FO) – A sweet, warm Tobacco blended with Vanilla, Wood, and Oak Moss.

Coconut (FO) – Great full coconut scent without being flowery.

Cucumber (FO) – This smells like a bowl of sliced cucumbers in water. Very light and refreshing!

Neroli (FO & EO) – Neroli is the scent of the bitter orange blossom. It is citrusy, sweet, and metallic, a very interesting unisex scent.

Oakmoss & Sage (FO & EO) – All the best of both scents. Deep, earthy, forest. No evergreen tones.

Sandalwood (EO & FO) – All the deep base notes of a great, purely sandalwood scent.

Unscented – No fragrance or essential oils.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
No “best soap” list would be complete without mentioning Mitchell’s Wool Fat Shaving Soap.  Widely available but only in one (mild) scent, some consider it the only shave soap they will use.

Similarly, Tabac Shaving Soap is another shaving soap that is very popular and widely available but only in a single scent.  Although it has a reputation of a top-shelf performer, it’s tobacco flower scent usually gets a “love it or hate it” reaction.

Institut Karite is a shaving soap that has been around for a while, albeit “under the radar.”  Those that have tried it love its performance.  The single scent is generally regarded as “mild” and “powdery” and predominantly “soapy” though some have said there are notes of licorice or floral in the mix.

RazoRock XXX (and XX).  RazoRock’s XXX was their best-selling product until they had to suspend production.  It will return to stock at the end of April, according to the Italian Barber website.  An interim soap, XX is still very popular and more widely available.

Cella (AKA “Cella Crema da Barba All’Olio Di Mandorla”) is a single-note scent (almond) soft shave soap that has gotten very high marks among those who have tried it, including Sharpoligist’s own Andy Tarnoff.

Offline goaman

• Moderador Emérito
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Astra-ólogo
  • Luxury Wetshaver - Master Enabler
  • Respect: +157
    • Facebook
Re: Quais são os melhores sabões de barbear (por Mantic59)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »
É um bom artigo. Realmente todos os produtos referidos tem provas dadas.

Acho que este artigo me fez mudar um pouco a maneira de ver as coisas... muito sinceramente já não consigo dar uma "ordem" dos melhores sabões... era enganar-me a mim próprio. A partir de agora, se me perguntarem "qual é o teu sabão preferido", dou uma lista de meia dúzia!!!  :D :D
"Male by birth, man by age, gentleman by choice."

REGRAS DO FÓRUM   ¤   A MINHA "EVANGELIZAÇÃO" CERVEJEIRA

Offline Gago

• Monsieur Thiers Issard
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • D.Quijote de La Toja
  • Respect: +211
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:09:23 pm »
É um bom artigo. Realmente todos os produtos referidos tem provas dadas.

Acho que este artigo me fez mudar um pouco a maneira de ver as coisas... muito sinceramente já não consigo dar uma "ordem" dos melhores sabões... era enganar-me a mim próprio. A partir de agora, se me perguntarem "qual é o teu sabão preferido", dou uma lista de meia dúzia!!!  :D :D

Também acho que está cada vez mais difícil. É capaz de eu dar uma lista de 3 hoje, e amanhã outra. A única coisa que não muda é meu amor pelo Nomad.

Não é que eu ache o Nomad melhor em desempenho do que alguns outros quantos sabões que também gosto muito. É que, para mim, o aroma do Nomad é perfeito. É tudo aquilo que EU queria, e como um "plus a mais", a performance está a par de outros excelentes sabões do meu acervo. Não lhe falta nada.

É aí que está a brincadeira; achar outro aroma que coloque num mesmo patamar que o Nomad. Ainda não encontrei, e a essa altura, não sei se vou. Mas em matéria de performance, posso apontar muitos outros do mesmo nível. Então na hora de fazer um "Top ..." o primeiro lugar é o Nomad. Todos os outros estão empatados em "segundo" lugar.

O Marlborough, tivesse um aroma mais forte, podia brigar com ele.  ::)

Offline classic-shaver

• Moderador Global
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Astra-ólogo
  • Classic wetshaving is impeccable
  • Respect: +69
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:53:40 pm »
Cella? Perdoem-me mas... WTF    :D
"O Homem é do tamanho do seu sonho"

DOUBLE-POST: COMO EVITAR

Offline FatSlim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Devoto de São Martin de Candre
  • Shaving... the 40th Millennium way!
  • Respect: +6
    • My Shaving Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:08:59 pm »
Cella? Perdoem-me mas... WTF    :D

WTF why not?? :P  excelente desempenho, barato e bem cheiroso ;)
My Shaving Youtube Channel

"A diferença entre o barbear moderno e o tradicional é como viajar por uma auto-estrada ou por uma nacional. Na primeira vais mais rápido mas pagas portagens. Na segunda vais mais devagar, mas aprecias a viagem"

Offline TheMonk

• Moderador Global
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Grogue por Semogue
  • Porto, Portugal
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:19 pm »
Ora bem, my 2 cents. 8)
Dos que são referidos, só ainda não experimentei Petal Pusher Fancies, espero em breve colmatar a falha.

Estou totalmente de acordo com os DR Harris, são sabões excelentes, e está tudo dito. O Marlborough é o meu predilecto.

Os HTGAM são bastante bons, mas não acho que estejam ao nível de um DR Harris, e a lata é de dimensão absolutamente exagerada e nada prática, a meu ver.

Quanto aos RR... ou eu tenho tido muito azar com os que já experimentei, ou então não sei... A verdade é que ainda nenhum foi capaz de me surpreender, embora tenham efectivamente um reconhecimento bastante generalizado nos Fóruns. ???

As menções honrosas para IK e Tabac são bem merecidas, são produtos sólidos, muito competentes, e a preços razoáveis.

Igor, presumo que o Cella esteja lá porque é provavelmente o croap italiano de amêndoa mais conhecido, e tem sido um produto consistente ao longo dos anos.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.”   John Cage

Offline oversaturn

• Moderador Global
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • D.Quijote de La Toja
  • Respect: +404
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »
Alguns até estou de acordo, outros nem por isso...
Como sempre, a opinião de cada um pode variar... consoante o gosto pessoal de cada um (e os patrocínios  :-X).
I wish I could be half as sure of anything as some people are of everything...

Como colocar imagens no fórum? Vê aqui.
O que é o double-post e como evitar

Offline Luís Carlos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marinheiro num Veleiro
  • Respect: +1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:51:31 am »
Sabão ou creme de barbear que possui muitos ingredientes ou cujos ingredientes começam com aqua, algo seguido de extract, propilenoglicol ou glicerina:

É quase certo que é ruim

Sabão ou creme de barbear que possui poucos ingredientes ou cujos ingredientes começam com Sodium Palmate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium tallowate, Potassium Cocoate:

No mínimo é bom. O ótimo fica a critério das preferências pessoais

IMHO

Offline Caramelo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Casca DOVO
  • Respect: +26
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:13:06 am »
Alguns até estou de acordo, outros nem por isso...
Como sempre, a opinião de cada um pode variar... consoante o gosto pessoal de cada um (e os patrocínios  :-X).

Pois... ::)

Offline Latherão

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Realmente Musgo
  • Respect: +1618
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 11:25:55 am »
Pois... ::)

Isso! Não posso concordar ou discordar, pois o único que possuo dessa lista é o Tabac. Mas nem sequer é uma lista global. São quase todos sabões americanos e ingleses (ok, o RR é italiano, mas é o rebranding americano, e não é propriamente um representante dos típicos sabões italianos). Reparem na introdução forçada do Cella, quase como nota de rodapé, para acalmar a fúria dos amantes de sabões italianos...

A nota sobre a disponibilidade fácil permite, convenientemente, excluir todos os artesanais europeus de uma assentada. E de toda a oferta inglesa, apenas merece referência o DR Harris?!?

Gi'me a break... :)

Offline carraro

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Vigorosamente Floïd
  • Respect: +6
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 12:24:08 pm »
Eu coloco o Jabonman entre os de topo.

Não conheço muitos sabões, mas não percebo como seria possível um desempenho superior ao Jabonman.

Offline Nuno Sá

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Numa nice c/ Old Spice
  • Lisboa
  • Respect: +62
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 12:46:58 pm »
 Menção honrosa para o MWF... Quando li o texto pela primeira vez pensei que para muitos dos confrades do fórum isso ia.ser um escândalo.

Offline oversaturn

• Moderador Global
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • D.Quijote de La Toja
  • Respect: +404
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 12:54:29 pm »

Sabão ou creme de barbear que possui poucos ingredientes ou cujos ingredientes começam com Sodium Palmate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium tallowate, Potassium Cocoate:

No mínimo é bom. O ótimo fica a critério das preferências pessoais

IMHO

Nem sempre é assim.
Há sabões péssimos com este tipo de formulação. Lothantique, Williams, C&E West Indian limes, são sabões ruins (porque mal formulados) mas que apresentam formulações deste tipo.

A nota sobre a disponibilidade fácil permite, convenientemente, excluir todos os artesanais europeus de uma assentada. E de toda a oferta inglesa, apenas merece referência o DR Harris?!?

Gi'me a break... :)

Para além do mais, a disponibilidade depende muito do lugar do globo onde vives.
Descarto muitos produtores artesanais americanos (e valorizo muito alguns europeus) devido a isso, entre outros factores.

de maneiras que essa lista me parece muito tendenciosa. Mas ultimamente o blog do mantic é mais uma montra publicitária, adaptada à realidade americana, que outra coisa.
I wish I could be half as sure of anything as some people are of everything...

Como colocar imagens no fórum? Vê aqui.
O que é o double-post e como evitar

Offline goaman

• Moderador Emérito
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Astra-ólogo
  • Luxury Wetshaver - Master Enabler
  • Respect: +157
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 01:51:56 pm »
adaptada à realidade americana

Verdade inquestionavel

Até porque conheço bastantes Americanos que são fans de MdC, LPL, Calani, Jabonman... e por aí, sendo estes os seus sabões favoritos. Mas são apenas os que tem acesso a eles. A maioria não tem, daí só poderem opinar sobre o que tem mais á mão...

Ora bem, my 2 cents. 8)
Dos que são referidos, só ainda não experimentei Petal Pusher Fancies, espero em breve colmatar a falha.

Os HTGAM são bastante bons, mas não acho que estejam ao nível de um DR Harris, e a lata é de dimensão absolutamente exagerada e nada prática, a meu ver.

Quanto aos RR... ou eu tenho tido muito azar com os que já experimentei, ou então não sei... A verdade é que ainda nenhum foi capaz de me surpreender, embora tenham efectivamente um reconhecimento bastante generalizado nos Fóruns. ???

O sandalwood da PPF é fenomenal! Acho que vais adorar!

Existem varias latas do HTGAM, ja tive a grande e estranhei, mas não posso dizer que era má para fazer espuma. Tenho agora uma mais pequena que tem um formato mais normal.

RR há 2 que, até agora me fascinaram, o XX e o Christmas in Tuscany. Aromas e performance excelentes.

A conclusão disto tudo é que tenho uma falha gravíssima... falta-me um sabão DR Harris!!!  ;D ;D
"Male by birth, man by age, gentleman by choice."

REGRAS DO FÓRUM   ¤   A MINHA "EVANGELIZAÇÃO" CERVEJEIRA

Offline TheMonk

• Moderador Global
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Grogue por Semogue
  • Porto, Portugal
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 02:40:54 pm »
RR há 2 que, até agora me fascinaram, o XX e o Christmas in Tuscany. Aromas e performance excelentes.

RR já experimentei uma amostra (pequena) do XX, e não fiquei nada convencido! O Christmas in Tuscany nunca tive oportunidade de experimentar.
Sou capaz de comprar o XXX quando for agora relançado, e aí terei oportunidade de tirar as devidas conclusões. Aquele que usei mais vezes e que me desiludiu bastante foi o Nonno Michelino... um produto absolutamente mediano a todos os níveis.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.”   John Cage

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal