Author Topic: My restored and shop-made brushes  (Read 58444 times)

Offline vferdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tech-no-logic
  • I am in it (wet shaving) for the pleasure.
  • Respect: +22
Re: My restored and shop-made brushes
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 04:27:22 pm »
I've made two more brushes.

One was an original handle made with Dymondwood material by commission for a travel brush. I used an 18mm TGN two band knot to make a 21mm brush. The brush is beautiful. Dymondwood is amazing material for shaving brush handles. It is extremely dimensionally stable, waterproof and takes polyurethane well. It's also beautiful.

Here are all the dimensions:

Total height: 95mm
Handle height: 49mm
Loft height: 46mm
Knot: 21mm bulb shape

Second brush is for my Etsy store inventory. This one is a vintage Peerless handle that originally had a nylon knot. I replaced it with a TGN two band finest knot. As I always do in cases of hollow handles, I added weight and filled the cavity of the handle before installing the new knot. This brush really shined up. The plastic is in good shape and with weight added the brush feels amazing in hand.

Dimensions:

Total height: 99mm
Handle height: 51mm
Loft height: 48mm
Knot: 22mm

Before knot, weight and fill:

Por favor, desculpe a minha pobre língua. Eu não falo Portugues e usar o Google Tradutor.

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 02:48:34 pm »
I have created a synthetic hair brush for a custom order. I used Dymondwood for the handle and finished with about a dosen coats of CA, which was polished with some chrome polish (yes, it works).

Dimensions:

Total height: 100mm
Handle height: 51mm
Loft height: 49mm
Knot: 24mm

Por favor, desculpe a minha pobre língua. Eu não falo Portugues e usar o Google Tradutor.

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »
I have created a new brush in black pearl resin. I have not used this color before and I must say, I should have. It is very, very beautiful. Pictures just do not do it justice.

Here are the pictures:

This is my first brush made on a lathe instead of my original drill press method. I think it came out very well. I really like the longer handle.

Enjoy!

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2014, 09:14:49 pm »
I have created a synthetic brush using a butterscotch resin handle from Whipped Dog which I modified on my lathe.

Approximate dimensions:

Handle height: 48mm
Loft: 52mm
Knot: 25mm

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »
I made another butterscotch brush. This time in pearl resin. Very beautiful stuff. This one is two band finest and is a large-ish brush that is very luxurious.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 98mm
Loft height: 50mm
Knot: 27mm

Offline RamonLourenço

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tech-no-logic
  • Self Butcher
  • Respect: +1
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 07:50:53 pm »
Muito bonito este perolado! E a última foto do preto talvez passe a real impressão deste pincel, talvez não. De qualquer forma a última foto do preto mostra uma beleza singular.

Parabéns, são todos muito bonito!

----------- Tradução livre (desculpem meu inglês)

Really beautiful this in pearl. The last picture of the black one may show it's true color, maybe not. Anyway, the last picture shows a singular beauty.

Congratulations, they're all beautiful!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:38:10 pm by RamonLourenço »

Offline Colcurinho

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A obra de Valobra
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »
This last one is particulary beautiful.

Offline Rui Marques

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Affair com uma British Aristocrat
  • PT - Lisboa
  • Respect: +93
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »

I made another butterscotch brush. This time in pearl resin. Very beautiful stuff. This one is two band finest and is a large-ish brush that is very luxurious.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 98mm
Loft height: 50mm
Knot: 27mm

(Image removed from quote.)

I do love this resin color. Have you ever tried adding some traces of another color such as black, to create a random pattern?

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2014, 09:18:43 pm »
I do love this resin color. Have you ever tried adding some traces of another color such as black, to create a random pattern?

Well, I did not make this resin blank, but I have made some others and I do add different colors to mix randomly. Take a look a few brushes earlier in this thread. I have one that is green and purple (moss and lavender, idea) with gold flakes. That blank was stunningly beautiful and I will definitely create something like that again soon. I may try something very dark with silver running through in veins. That would be awesome. Or dark blue and gold like in stone called lapis, which has veins of pyrite (fool's gold). Amazing stuff. Keep an eye out. I am working on it...

Offline RamonLourenço

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tech-no-logic
  • Self Butcher
  • Respect: +1
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 01:18:13 am »
...Or dark blue and gold...

Amazing! I'd love to see this!

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 03:42:02 pm »
I have restored another Ever-Ready brush. This one is a blue and creme 200T model. I love these hour glass shaped ERs. They land themselves to restoration very well. As usual in these models I sanded off the sharp corners and the seam between the colors to make the handle feel like a solid one piece object. I also added some ballast weight and filler to the handle, which is hollow on these brushes. This makes the whole brush feel amazingly good in hand. More like a solid material handle than anything.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 101mm
Handle height: 52mm
Loft height: 49mm
Knot: 24mm

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2014, 03:41:20 pm »
I have created another LARGE brush. This one is truly large. The knot is 30mm and the rest of the handle is nice and large. I modeled it after "Emperor" or M6 style handles, but way bigger. Those with large hands and craving a large knot in a brush will be delighted. The wood is amazingly beautiful. Pictures do not do it justice. I took some pictures of this brush together with some other well-known brush to represent the scale. This brush is LARGE and beautiful.

Brush Dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 128mm
Handle: 73mm
Loft: 55mm
Knot: 30mm Bulb shape

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2014, 04:36:16 pm »
I have just completed a special to me project. It is re-handling the venerable Omega 49 Pro. I bought the Omega on Amazon and extracted the knot from it and turned a handle I think is more worthy than the ABS plastic one that originally came with it. I really love the Omega 49, but IMO the handle is not very pretty (but fine for the price these go for) and the loft is a bit too high on these brushes. So I turn the handle I think is good for it and drop the loft to around 58mm-60mm. This one ended up at 59mm loft and 28mm knot. Test lathers with this brush produced amazing results and I even had a test shave with it, which proved to be worth the effort. I put this brush into my Etsy store, but I am sure I will make one for myself soon. Just love the large Omega boar...

Total height: 132mm
Handle: 73mm
Loft: 59mm
Knot: 28mm

Offline vferdman

• Tech-no-logic
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2014, 06:12:47 pm »
I have created another brush made with Dymondwod and TGN two band finest. This one was inspired by one of my favorite vintage handles - the Ever-Ready 100T/200T/300PBT. It's the hourglass shape, I really like the way this came out. the handle is petite and feels great in hand. I finished it with multiple (over a dozen) coats of CA (crazy glue) and polished it to a glass-like shine.

Handle: 50mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 25mm bulb shape

Offline Colcurinho

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A obra de Valobra
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:32 pm »
It is very well made that Brush.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal